Researcher of Political Science & Classical Islam. Initiated by the Khwajagan i-Naqshband.
Sufi Iqbal Ahmed Nuri narrated from the works of Imam Ahmad Rida Khan Qadiri (rah) in the Shama i-Shabastaan the following method for Istikharah and attributed it from Imam Ahmad Rida Khan to the venerable Ghawth al-Adham Shaykh ‘Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani (rad) stating, “According to Imam Ahmad Rida Khan Qadiri, this Istikharah is from the Crown of Saints Shaykh ‘Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani (rad) and is to be regarded as highly authentic. If a difficult situation arises and one does not know what course of action to take, then let him recite the customary Fatiha once, intending to present the reward for its recitation to the blessed Ruh (soul) of the venerable Ghawth us-Thaqalayn. Thereafter one should think of his question, close his eyes and place his index finger above the following Naqsh (magic square) of Istikharah, allowing his index finger to rest, without resistance, on whichever number it is guided to. Once his finger touches the page (screen) and rests upon a number in the magic square, let him open his eyes, and read the corresponding answer specific to the number and act accordingly. The venerable Naqsh of Istikharah is as follows,
Meanings of Numbers:
Here are the responses according to the corresponding number from the Shama i-Shabastaan:
1. Trust in Allah, and delay your work for a few days. Inshallah, you will be granted that which is in your heart.
2. This is a good task, and the answer is yes. You shall be granted that which is in your heart.
3. Do not proceed with your intentions. Proceeding will result in pain and suffering.
4. Whatever your task is, you will be given through Mira Muhiuddin (Shaykh ‘Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani), Inshallah.
5. Whatever your intention is, you will be given thorough Allah’s Mercy
6. There will be disruption in your work, so delay your work for few days and Allah willing you would be successful
7. Whatever worry you keep in your mind, rest assured that you will be granted relief. Do not be haste, delay your work Inshallah.
8. Do not doubt, your work will be good for you with a good outcome
9. Your task is good. Inshallah.you will be successful.
10. You will get what you want. Inshallah.
11. This task is very good
12. Whatever your intention is, be patient you will get a good outcome.
13. Whatever you keep in your heart is not good. Do not attempt to do it or you will be humiliated
14. This is very good. Do this and you will get good result.
15. Your intention is good, but your enemies will be jealous. Be patient
16. With Allah’s Help you will get what you seek. Put a little effort into it.
17. Keep your task secret, and you will get want you want Inshallah.
18. Do not attempt to do this task, you will not be successful
19. Do not ever attempt to do this, be patient.
20. Do not do this and delay it. Resign your task to Allah
21. This is a good task, it will be fulfilled
22. Do not doubt this task, rather just proceed with it. It will result in an increment in your wealth
23. Whatever you ask, you will get it. Do not doubt
24. Whatever you ask of others, you will get with Allah’s Mercy
25. Never attempt to do this work, you will be humiliated
26. God willing you will be successful in the task
27. You will not attain that which you seek, do not waste your time and effort
28. You shall receive according to your intentions.
29. Whatever task you are thinking of will be fulfilled. You need to be patient
30. This is a good task, however you should delay it for few days
31. This task is wasteful, and your enemies are waiting. There will be interruptions
32. You are putting a lot of effort in this task. Do not exert much effort into it this and delay it
33. Trust in Allah. You will get that which you seek
34. Your intention is good and out come will be good
35. This task is not healthy. Do not think too much about it
36. This task will result in goodness.
37. That which is in your heart is is related to a few people. The task will be completed.
38. Your intention is good, keep good faith
39. Be constant in the Remembrance of Allah, for this task and be patient
40. Your ask shall be completed agreeably, recite the customary Fatiha and do hadiya on the Ghawth
41. This is a good task, but delay it for a few days
42. This task will be completed, do not doubt future tasks
43. Your intention is good, be strong and place faith in Allah
44. Do not attempt to do this, it is not good
45. Whatever your wish is delay it, otherwise you will be humiliated
46. You shall be granted that which your heart desires, Inshallah.
47. This is a good task, it will result in goodness
48. Whatever your intention is, it shall be fulfilled through spending
49. This task shall be completed
50. Proceed with this task, and keep good faith in Allah’s Mercy
51. Your task is surrounded by darkness, delay it for few days
52. Follow your heart in this matter, if you feel like proceeding, than do so, otherwise if you do not, it is also acceptable. Your answer is neither positive nor negative
53. Your answer is positive, but delay for a few more days
54. Allah is the Compeller and the Opener. Your task shall be fulfilled
55. Do not do this
56. This task will not be fulfilled, however you may continue to attempt achieving this
57. Do not put a lot of effort in this task, trust in Allah
58. This task will be completed, however, delay it for a few days
59. This is good and you will accomplish it
60. Do not do it
61. The answer is “Yes”, however delay in this task
62. Do not do this, however, the things related to this task are positive
63. This is a good task. God willing it will be completed
64. There is no goodness in this answer. Do not attempt to do it
65. Your task will be fulfilled
66. Your wish will be fulfilled
67. The answer is yes, but be patient
68. You will granted your desire
69. You will get what you want, do not doubt
70. You will get whatever it is you want, but it is better not to do this, and instead rely on Allah
Copyright © 2009-14 Alsunnahfoundation.org (ASFC). All rights reserved.
Permission to reproduce this article is granted by the ASFC for fair use only, with citation of the name of the author and source (Alsunnahfoundation.org and this blog) without editing.